Hiya Pal! Welcome to the inaugural edition of Meghan’s Place. I’ve been publishing this blog in my mind for about five years now. I have quite a reputation amongst myself for being witty and entertaining, and I’m about to unleash all that glory on you. Dear Reader, as you probably know, we are currently living in the early stages of the COVID-19 pandemic. Most of America has been remanded to the care and custody of the television and the interweb. At first, I considered delaying this blog. Publishing it felt unseemly. But I figure in a week or two we are all going to be looking for a distraction from the boredom of confinement and the horror of the news cycle (that last bit is new, eh?). And, a captive audience is probably the only audience I’m going to get. So, after much careful thought and three glasses of Chardonnay, here we go!
First: Our Cast
To be clear, we don’t really look like that. One of the benefits of being a mediocre photographer is having a community of much less mediocre photographer friends, some of whom have epic Photoshop skills. This image is courtesy of the incomparable Rosy Made Photography http://www.rosymadephotography.com
This is me, in the wild. Photo also courtesy of Rosy Made Photography, except I probably photoshopped my thighs smaller. Just a little bit smaller because if they were actually skinny, you wouldn’t recognize me. Before you message me about copyright, I had the photographer’s permission. So, this is me. Photographer, traveler, writer. I’m self impressed by my own jokes, I like to sit by the pool while people bring me nice things, I absolutely believe in hiring out everything I’m not good at or don’t want to do. My motto in life is: Always get the Cabana. I love food, wine, massages, sleeping in while someone else does the laundry, Mickey Mouse, and rainbow sherbet. I’ve been an intermittent faster for about two years and let me tell you, it’s a game changer. I’m also a big fan of audio books, reality TV, eyelash extensions, Botox, Athleta leggings, Salted Caramel Mochas, packing cubes, and Chardonnay. I am a bit of an empath, I feel a little too deeply, I’m extremely loyal and fiercely protective of the people I love. I am a fixer and a helper and I have no freakin clue what I’m doing. I am able to relate to lots of different kinds of people and I am also annoyed by almost everyone. Truly, I’m an extrovert who has a low tolerance for humans. Yes, we exist. No, we are not okay.
This fine specimen is my one true love. He doesn’t have a sense of humor and he doesn’t love Disney as much as I do (hence the grapefruit beer), he’s a complete know-it-all and he puts the condiments back in the cabinet while you are still using them. But, he’s a brilliant scientist and a helluva cook, he takes my kids to all their activities (cause Lord knows I’m not going to). He’s a feminist, a pragmatic idealist, and a great conversationalist. Best of all, when life overwhelms me and I want to give up and hide under the covers with a sippy cup of vodka, he drags me out of bed, slaps me on the rear, and tells me that my mama didn’t raise no quitter. He is, my Evangeline.
This is my sweet first born. I don’t know why he is the way he is. I made him, but I have no control over him. Actually, my lack of control over things is probably going to become a theme here. Gracious, pass the wine. As for the name, well…he’s off at college now and his grooming leaves something to be desired. Think, Leonardo DiCaprio in The Revenant. Go ahead. Google “The Revenant”. Mmm Hm. Now you understand the wine.
Ahhhh, the teen years. So. Much. Angst. However, you have to admire how he matched the accents on his ball to his sweatshirt. This kid has some mean interior design skills, and he’s the only one in my family who will watch Love It or List It with me. He will scream out fairly belligerent counter-top critiques during most of the reveal, but ear plugs are pretty cheap on Amazon (way cheaper than hand sanitizer which, if you can find it at all during this pandemic will run you approximately $998765447823/oz. At that price I could probably just fund a vaccine).
And last but certainly not least, the princess of the house with her beloved babysitter Slurpee in her personal playground, Target. She mostly spends her time ordering us around, demanding toys and snacks, and refusing to read. More accurately, pretending she doesn’t know how to read because she has figured out that if she doesn’t know how to do something, eventually one of her brothers will do it for her. I wonder how that is going to work out on her first day of employment?
What is this blog even about?
Now that you’ve met everyone, let’s talk about content. Meghan, what exactly are you going to write about? Well first, let’s talk about what I’m not going to write about. There are a lot of adorable, informative, highly useful blogs out there these days. And this is absolutely NOT one of those blogs.
- This is NOT a Mommy Blog. – You will not find any tutorials on enjoying a rainy day inside with your beloved little ones, making Rainbow Unicorn Hot Cocoa from scratch. Nope. I am not about that life. When Starbucks comes out with a Rainbow Unicorn Hot Cocoa that I can purchase from my car for $11.95, I will be all over it. Until then, you know where the milk and the Hershey’s Syrup are, darlings.
- This is NOT a Beauty Blog. -It’s not that I am not into beauty. It’s just that I am extremely lazy and I am not going to spend more than fourteen minutes getting ready in the morning, largely spent finding clean underwear. Remember, I didn’t do the laundry. SO, I will tell you whatever beauty secrets I have and whatever products I love. But they are all geared toward rolling out of bed presentable. Or at least passable.
- This is NOT a Sponsored Blog. – You will not find Affiliate Links here. Well, at least not at this time. I would love to have Affiliate Links, but at this point I have a readership of 3 people and 2 of them are my Mom (Hi Mom!). So, today, no one is sponsoring me for anything. If that ever changes, you’ll probably know because I’ll be way cooler.
- This is NOT a How-To Blog- Let’s be clear, I can make some things, and reasonably decorate my home, but I am not going to be telling you how to do much of anything because I have no idea what I’m doing. I mostly make things up as I go along, Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn’t. I will probably share both with you. If I can make something in your life easier, I will. If I’ve completely screwed something up and we can have a good laugh, that’s good too.
- This is NOT- I don’t even know. I’ve run out of ideas. Stop judging me, lets move on.
Get to the point!
What will you find at Meghan’s Place? Well, to start, lots of pretty images because that’s what I do. Probably a few simple photography tutorials, a couple life hacks, lots of reviews of great travel destinations and resorts I adore. PLENTY of Disney tips and tricks and experiences. Products I love and will make your life easier, lots of complaining about my kids and their never-ending-dang-activities, enough jokes to get you through a pandemic, and a few heartfelt sentiments here and there. Are you ready? Push the laundry off the chair in the corner and pour yourself a glass of wine! I’m so glad you’re here, and I hope you stay awhile.